Step-by-Step: Making Aliyah to Israel

Documenting the very personal process of making Aliyah (immigration to Israel) by one very atypical Israeli-American girl. Aliyah on 17, August, 2005. Roadmap: What do you mean there's no roadmap?! Hang on, we're in for a bumpy ride! Ole!

Saturday, June 18, 2005

It is a beautiful, glorious, sunny day today. I'm enjoying sitting here and just looking out the window and thinking about how much I will enjoy my walk over to the NYC public library on 5th Avenue in just a little while. My apartment is actually cool --an indication that the weather is again a little chilly outside. After that massive heat wave we had for a few days, it has not gotten unseasonably cool --like spring, and with a need for a light sweater at night. Lovely.

This will be my very first, as well as my last, summer in New York City. Somewhat funny since I've lived here since the fall of 1997. I am missing the idea of being in Konstanz, Germany this summer -- the long walks by the lake, the shopping daily for my groceries, the wonderful Italian family who own a little restaurant just two doors down from the vacation flat I always rent and who 'adopted' me and fed me most incredibly, friends, having the time to sit down and work on my fiction book (never can get my mind 'there' to write on it during the hardcore work months). So I feel a little sadly nostalgic that I am not going to be there this summer. But I am also very much enjoying a summer here in the city and plan to really have a 'New York experience' and do all the things that tourists do but I haven't yet. I hope I have the time.

I have still a lot of hardcore work to get done -- 3 chapters, several studies to run, a revision of an article, writing up empirical manuscripts --this summer before I go. With my apartment and office in disaster-land this is very difficult. I can't write when surrounded by mess. And the mess needs to get sorted, filed, and packed or tossed. With a houseguest, this is also difficult.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home