Step-by-Step: Making Aliyah to Israel

Documenting the very personal process of making Aliyah (immigration to Israel) by one very atypical Israeli-American girl. Aliyah on 17, August, 2005. Roadmap: What do you mean there's no roadmap?! Hang on, we're in for a bumpy ride! Ole!

Thursday, June 30, 2005

I'm all excited because this afternoon I will get to meet a fellow olah-to-be who is making aliya this summer (just a couple weeks ahead of me) along with her husband and pets. One thing that is for certain is that we will not bore one another with our talk of our moving plans and what we think it will be like once we get there and so forth. Because my thoughts and activities are so geared toward making this move (with an apt more than half in boxes, how could it not be?) a large percent of what I find myself talking about with friends (not making aliya and many not Jewish) is: the move. And all that goes into it. While this is a fascinating topic for me, I'm pretty sure it isn't for them. I'm thinking that making aliya, or perhaps any big move to somewhere far away, is kind of like having a first child and then being around your as-yet-childless friends. While not having yet had a first child I do have friends who have and, without fail, for at least the first year after the happy occurance the main topic of their conversations is "the baby." Every teeny minute thing that the baby does is mentioned (at least once) and no matter where the conversation might drift off to it will inevitably come back (usually rather quickly) to "the baby." This is understandable because the wonders (and new difficulties) of the baby have become the center of their universe and focus and rightly so. For those who are as yet childless, however, the question of whether the baby may or may not have really smiled after it burped is uh....yes. It is not that the childless friends are not interested in the welfare and happiness of the proud new parent or that they don't find it interesting to hear about the progress of the little squib, but rather that a chasm has temporarily opened between them because they simply cannot relate. The majority of their day-to-day experiences and concerns are simply different. So I'm glad that I will be able to meet and talk with someone who is having the same experiences and with whom I won't have to carefully monitor how many times the words "moving, Israel, Tel Aviv, new job, etc" have already been uttered by myself!

2 Comments:

At 9:40 AM, Blogger Tomas said...

Good Morning ##NAME##, I find reading blog articles like ##TITLE## most rewarding at times. It enhances the experiences of life in many cases.

Being a physician, amongst other things I often have a soft spot for blogs related to article database and /or sites that are built around article database type items.

Once again, thank you ##NAME##, and I will look for your posts again in the future. :-)

 
At 7:47 AM, Blogger Meg Taylor said...

Hi Friend! You have a great blog over here!
Please accept my compliments and wishes for your happiness and success!
If you have a moment, please take a look at my pets Delaware site.
Have a great day!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home