Step-by-Step: Making Aliyah to Israel

Documenting the very personal process of making Aliyah (immigration to Israel) by one very atypical Israeli-American girl. Aliyah on 17, August, 2005. Roadmap: What do you mean there's no roadmap?! Hang on, we're in for a bumpy ride! Ole!

Saturday, June 04, 2005

home again, home again jiggity jig

I got home last night and am up early to throw myself into the millions of things that I need to get done. Tomorrow is the Salute to Israel parade. I have organized a little get-together of the summer olim who are making Aliyah with Nefesh B'Nefesh at the parade and we are all going to wear our NBN t-shirts so we can recognize one another and do a little bit of publicity for NBN. Unfortunately, my t-shirt NBN sent out hasn't gotten here. Or rather, it came (twice) while I was in Texas but my roommate "forgot" to sign the little slip saying they could leave it without me signing for it. It is supposed to be delivered again on Monday --too late and UPS is closed today. Isn't that a fine kettle of fish?!

I'm afraid I stepped on some NBN toes with organizing this but I can't for the life of me figure out why. When I first posted the idea to the nbn group a lot of people were interested and a good number wrote saying, hey you know we should actually be marching in this parade --we're about as visible a sign of support as you can get. So I wrote to the parade organizers and then talked with them via the phone but, because it was only 2 weeks until the parade, they thought it might be a little late to organize us as a marching group. Instead, they suggested that we should be an "official observation group," and they assigned us a spot along the parade route and asked that I send along a blurb about Nefesh B'Nefesh so that, as the parade passed by, the announcers could point us out and say something to promote Nefesh and to let people know that we are all making aliyah etc etc.

I thought this would be great free publicity for Nefesh and also make a nice statement about support for Israel and encourage others to make Aliyah. So I said "cool!" and wrote to the folks at Nefesh to ask what they wanted the announcers to say --and got back a "for some reason we aren't taking part in this parade, even though we do want all of you to go to it wearing your shirts (they were sending out the shirts so we could wear them in time for the parade) and we'll get back to you about this." Then they didn't until earlier this week and they said they did not want anything about Nefesh to be announced. Then Thursday I found an email from the guy I'd been writing to at Nefesh saying lots of people were asking him about where we were supposed to meet up at and he asked me were we still meeting up and, if so, he'd send out (which he did) an email telling everyone the designated spot to meet. I wrote back confirming that we are still meeting at the designated spot albeit now as an unofficial organized group. So we will be there to promote Nefesh with the shirts (except for my shirtless organizer self) but not with any kind of announcement about the group by the parade people. Whatever...!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home