Step-by-Step: Making Aliyah to Israel

Documenting the very personal process of making Aliyah (immigration to Israel) by one very atypical Israeli-American girl. Aliyah on 17, August, 2005. Roadmap: What do you mean there's no roadmap?! Hang on, we're in for a bumpy ride! Ole!

Sunday, June 12, 2005

From the mixed-up files of (Yael Kaynan?)

The dean from the "other university" called me this morning. I've not received an international call on the cellphone before and for some reason it gave the ring assigned to my mother --thank g-d I didn't answer it with a "Hi Ema!" The upshot was that they remain interested in me for a position starting in '06 and possibly something half-time for the first year starting this fall but nothing concrete yet. Both universities know where I am at with each other (only fair to let them know). A job at either place would be incredibly wonderful as they are both outstanding universities and I would consider myself more than happy and lucky to be at either.

I'm seriously thinking about capitulating and buying a little air-conditioner for this summer to put in my bedroom. I'm melting, much like the wicked witch of the west. Last night I resorted to wetting a towel and draping it around my body in an attempt to not melt into a pile of ooough. The towel was not an effective coolant; it immediately took on the 5,000 degrees reflecting my body temperature. And you know it is hot when you walk into the bathroom and discover _all three_ of my cats laying in the bathtub (yes, the -same- bathtub). It was a good 15 degrees cooler out on the street and at 11 p.m. it was still hot and humid as hell out there.

Nobody can tell me I'm too skinny now as I have obviously gained some major weight. Yes, the shorts that were about a size and half too big last summer (but were really cute and so I couldn't resist) now not only fit but are TIGHT and the ones that did fit last summer ...uhhh uh. I can't figure it out because I haven't changed my eating and exercise habits one iota, except for the addition of a starbuck's venti caramel frappacino with extra c and whipped cream per day in place of a starbucks venti breve latte. Ohhhhh wait, I was in Texas for a week and subject to my mother's "eat, eat" not to mention her really delicious cooking which made me want to eat eat. Hmmmm.

I'm feeling a twinge of guilt as I've just copied my 345th DVD. I think if I hit 400 the guilt is going to become overwhelming. At least I'm still sticking to my rule of "if I would rent this movie more than once in my lifetime I will buy it instead."

Packing: I'm on box 19 and can barely find space to walk in my apartment. I'm not even halfway finished either. The way things are going, when Michelle comes to stay _she_ is going to be sleeping in the bathtub.

Names: Do I look more like a Yochevet than a Yael? My roommate tells me it is "passe, old-fashioned and awful and no one would ever inflict it on a child today" but I love it. If I can't inflict it on a future child maybe inflict it on myself? :) I'm also thinking about Chaya because it is close to Katie, or maybe Keren.

If you haven't done so already, show Celestial Blue some love and buy one of her super cool bracelets to help her come to Israel.

Finally, Chag sameach!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home