Step-by-Step: Making Aliyah to Israel

Documenting the very personal process of making Aliyah (immigration to Israel) by one very atypical Israeli-American girl. Aliyah on 17, August, 2005. Roadmap: What do you mean there's no roadmap?! Hang on, we're in for a bumpy ride! Ole!

Thursday, June 30, 2005

From dawn to dusk and beyond, that has been my day today, as I ran my little legs off (well, the little feet most certainly and I have the blisters to prove it. Ouch!). Got two fans for the living room, one to blow air in and the other to blow air out of the windows. We'll see how that works. Not sure that much does work against 84% humidity plus 88 degree heat!

I also did some impulse buying today. Yes, I really need to curb this tendency and I didn't really need 'em but something just goes berserk in my brain when I see 'extreme sale.' So, I now have two t-shirts (very cute) and one new tank top (which I can justify because it is white and the instant I put something white on my body a stain of some nefarious origin immediately and almost magically appears on it --ink, coffee, you name it-- and so a back-up is good to have).

I have been inspired by two fellow bloggers lately, one on a practical and creative level and the other just touched my soul and heart --and impressed the hell out of me.

First, after seeing and reading about Savta Dotty's most beautiful lastest knitting project, I have been re-inspired to get out my not-so-beautiful latest knitting project. Well, let me define "not so beautiful." When my mother saw it, this ordinarily gushing , doting mother who runs around telling everyone that she has the most wonderful and talented daughter (no matter what project it may be that I am currently embarking on) in our universe and others, remarked, "Good G-d, that is the ugliest skirt I've ever seen." My friend Buzz winced and said, "I'm sure it will be very nice. In some future century or another. What is it?!" Michelle (G-d love her) said, "hmmm, it looks kind of like a mexican blanket" and tried to hide her wince. Michelle gets a star on her forehead for guessing what this, ahem, project will be: a blanket. Right now though, because it isn't very long and is knit in the round for double-thickness, it does kind of look like a skirt. And, er, well kinda ugly.

The idea behind the blanket was to use up all my scrap cotton yarn from various projects going back...oh, maybe 15 years. I read this pattern idea where you put all your scraps of various shades, lengths, and textures into a bag and then consecutively draw out little yarn balls and knit with them, with the requirement that you have to use whatever colour and texture you draw out. The pattern claimed you would be amazed at how beautiful this hodge-podge of colours and textures would turn out. I was sold. But I wanted to make this a special blanket (being my first blanket ever to make) and so I decided to make it a friendship blanket. To do this, instead of pulling out the next yarn-bit to knit with myself, I have a different friend or relative reach into the bag without looking and select the next colour. So each colour represents a different person I love, all woven together. Great idea, right? Sigh, except that what is amazing is just how ummm jarring to the eye, shall we say, the result is so far. Anyway I'm back at it!

The second source of inspiration I'm not going to talk about at any great length simply because I just can't adequately describe in words how this has touched me, for it has done so on so many different levels. Instead, I'm going to put a pointer over to Treppenwitz so you can read for yourself. I just noticed he has placed a humble "hang on a minute" post but, sorry David, you can't escape the fact that you are a Mensch in every meaning of the word! And really, my feelings are not based solely on one post but rather from an amalgamation of many: the wonderful values he and his wife (a heroine :) are instilling in their children and that are evident in the actions of the members of his family, the courtesy with which he treats his readers, the vignettes from his life and the lives of others he knows that he chooses to highlight...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home