Step-by-Step: Making Aliyah to Israel

Documenting the very personal process of making Aliyah (immigration to Israel) by one very atypical Israeli-American girl. Aliyah on 17, August, 2005. Roadmap: What do you mean there's no roadmap?! Hang on, we're in for a bumpy ride! Ole!

Wednesday, May 25, 2005

Two things are on my mind right now. First and foremost, what to wear for the interview-by-proxy tomorrow and how to be coherent that early in the morning. I'm very unfamiliar with Columbia's campus so I hope I can easily find the right building. Also hoping it isn't raining tomorrow (as it has been all day today) because if it is I'll have to leave even earlier --the traffic will be awful! I think if I'm out the door by 7:30 I should be ok.

The second is trying to get ready for my trip home. I leave on Thursday and will be gone for a week (9 days). The purpose of this trip is two-fold. It is a "hi Mom, don't worry, really really don't worry" trip. Top priority though is to see my father. I haven't seen him in 8 years and this may be the last time I do see him. Actually, I can count on both hands the number of times I've seen him since I was 5. Since he seems to have the inability to maintain contact with his children, I decided I'd better take the bull by the horns and buy him a plane ticket to see me and my brother before I leave for another country. This way, I don't have to feel guilty if anything happens to him. This way, I can save my brother any guilt if something happens to him. Boy that sounds really hard-hearted and selfish but it is also true. The man couldn't manage to see us when we lived in the same city and he seems to have a phobia of making self-originated phone calls (to his kids), so I hold out no hope of his ever managing to come see me in another country.

If I was not looking forward to the trip to Canada, let's just say that the Canada trip is like winning the lottery in comparison to this one. It is going to be interesting, to say the least, to see how the two parents handle seeing one another again. I'm wondering how we are going to manage to think of things to say beyond the first five minutes (so how was the flight?...") much less for 4 days. He gets shipped home on Tuesday; my mother wanted me to stay until Friday morning and so I'm there longer. Sigh, what I am buying for my future guilt-reduction I am certainly paying for now in stress and methinks this next week does not bode well.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home