Step-by-Step: Making Aliyah to Israel

Documenting the very personal process of making Aliyah (immigration to Israel) by one very atypical Israeli-American girl. Aliyah on 17, August, 2005. Roadmap: What do you mean there's no roadmap?! Hang on, we're in for a bumpy ride! Ole!

Saturday, May 28, 2005

Checking in from my favourite Austin coffehouse -- the Spider House. Sitting outside in lovely warm weather with not only wireless connection but enough plugs for me to have two laptops juicing up. Wow. Don't get this in New York!

I got in late on Thursday and my father arrived last night. I was honestly shocked when I saw him; almost didn't recognize him. I saw a man who looked a great deal like my grandfather (when he was 80) and lo and behold it was Abba sheli. Yikes. He is not even 60 years old and looks ancient. He totters when he walks, very slowly walks. Holy guacamole.

Note to self: quit smoking and soon. He's smoked a pack a day since he was a kid and now he has the really nasty lung thing where the muscles have just gone away and so he gets winded walking very far. I've smoked a pack a day since I was a kid and now am up to almost 2 packs when stressed. Gotta quit. Must, must, must. I do not want to look like that when I am his age. I do not want to not be able to breath. Ay yi yi.

Visit is going well so far. My brother has him today while I do some work. I'll meet up with them this evening for dinner and togetherness. On Tuesday I get him all day because my brother will have to work.

Since I have this bit of freedom from the family I'd better make some good use of it and get some of this pile of work done.

1 Comments:

At 4:42 AM, Blogger Ad Blaster said...

Facts speak louder than statistics." Sir Geoffrey Streatfield"

 

Post a Comment

<< Home