Step-by-Step: Making Aliyah to Israel

Documenting the very personal process of making Aliyah (immigration to Israel) by one very atypical Israeli-American girl. Aliyah on 17, August, 2005. Roadmap: What do you mean there's no roadmap?! Hang on, we're in for a bumpy ride! Ole!

Monday, April 18, 2005

You know you've made the right decision when...

your decision puts you into contact with such warm, open, awesome people! This is a very big "thank you!!" post for all the encouragement, advice, and just all around menschness that has come my way from you guys since I started this blog.

Just think, when I get to Tel Aviv I have promises of being plied with chicken soup and apple pie from Savta Dotty. This is a major incentive. Heck, I'd make Aliyah on this promise alone -- the pictures she posted a while back of her home-made apple pie had me salivating from afar!

Rinat, who so concisely and so beautifully sums up so many of the things I think and feel myself but can never get into words, is a constant inspiration. I can't wait to take the new train from Tel Aviv to Jerusalem and spend some time hanging out with her and smoking far too many cigarettes *grin*

Harry (He of the Awesome Podcasts) and Gilly, who always give such good advice -- they have restored my faith in the idea that there really are nice, normal, level-headed and, yes, sensitive men existing on this planet. (So, do you guys have any nice unmarried friends? *grin*)

Then there's Lisa. She is one of the most talented writers whose writings I've ever had the pleasure to read. Her "How Lisa Came to Israel" series has had me on the edge of my seat and beyond. Her extraordinary writing talents are just icing on the cake because the cake is pure Mensch.

How can I not mention Allison (another great writer!)? The woman has offered to help me buy a fridge when I get there (and hey, I'm going to take her up on it! I've now heard too many horror stories of fridges from the States not getting through doors and ending up in living rooms!). This is going above and beyond the call! Thank you, thank you!

I've discovered a heroine in the form of Ayelet Waldman. She has the courage and chutzpah (not to mention talent) I can only dream of having. And, if I can be such a bad mother, my future children will be truly blessed!

I'm saving a special mention for Celestial Blue, the very first person to write me and welcome me to the blogging world. From the first time I got to "know" CB through her blog and our email exchanges I felt a strong kinship, a sisterhood with her. There was an immediate sense of being in almost the same place and struggling with many of the same issues and doubts, only heightened by the fact that she is also a Battlestar Galactica fan. She has been unfailing in her encouragement and put up with me pushing and prodding her to take the same steps. But hey, it's not like I push everyone to make Aliyah --in fact I know a good many against whom I'd engage in guerilla acts of discouragement if they so much as hemmed about the idea! -- CB just seems to belong b'eretz. Not to mention the fact that it would be really great to have another cool English-speaking neighbor!

There are lots of people I haven't mentioned and should like Alisa, Maria, Michelle, Lila, Shyguy, and so many more. To all of you, a very big thank you!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home