Step-by-Step: Making Aliyah to Israel

Documenting the very personal process of making Aliyah (immigration to Israel) by one very atypical Israeli-American girl. Aliyah on 17, August, 2005. Roadmap: What do you mean there's no roadmap?! Hang on, we're in for a bumpy ride! Ole!

Saturday, April 09, 2005

Various tidbits

Shipping costs. Ooooo ouch. They are going to be about a thousand dollars more than what I was hoping, which was, of course, the most minimum amount that I'd heard was possible. Still, it could be much worse. The really good thing is that Strand is willing to pick up stuff not only from my apartment but also from the school for me at no extra cost, provided I can get the go-ahead from NYU to let them come in and schlepp the stuff out. This could be much easier said than done because NYU rivals any monolithic bureaucratic entity on earth for absolute obstinancy and idiocy. I'm hoping this will work because my shoulder is already complaining about my attempts to bring home 15-20 or so books a day in the hopes that they can all be happily here and in boxes by August 1st. (Any insomniac book people out there are welcome to borrow these particular books --guaranteed to have you sleeping peacefully in no time!).

I considered and then emphatically rejected the idea of doing bodily harm to one of my graduate students this week. I waited until today to send a scathing email to her and, believe me, it was not nearly as scathing as it should have been. This survey for a study has been ready since November and all she had to do was to get it into the right format for getting it online. Tedious, yes. Difficult, no. Believe me, if I can do it, it can't be too difficult. For the 9millionth time she sent it to me and it is completely and hopelessly wrong in so many ways I can't even count. For instance, when uploaded only the first 8 out of 150 questions are visible because she "forgot" to put the ending " mark after the font colour for every single question after 8. That was the easy fix. The rest, oy. After working on it for 12 hours and still not finding all the php bugs (not to mention all the mistakes to the survey itself with question wording, order, answer order and options), I scrapped it and have now started from scratch. The obvious lesson here is: If you want something done right, do it yourself and do it yourself the first time. Delegating to others is great in theory, especially because (in theory) it causes you less of the eye-numbing headaches and wastes of time. In reality, you end up doing the eye-numbing work under incredible deadline pressure after suffering countless additional headaches you just didn't need.

I should consider doing myself bodily harm, but won't, because I still haven't finished the article I was carping about a couple of weeks ago. Life, inept surveys, and any other avoidance tactic possible have gotten in the way.

1 Comments:

At 6:20 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Handy man and Repairmen

Can You Fix this and Can you fix that well

bone remodeling Advice at http://good-remodeling.com/wood.pl?expert=remodeling . If you are Looking for bone remodeling Then Here it is

 

Post a Comment

<< Home