Step-by-Step: Making Aliyah to Israel

Documenting the very personal process of making Aliyah (immigration to Israel) by one very atypical Israeli-American girl. Aliyah on 17, August, 2005. Roadmap: What do you mean there's no roadmap?! Hang on, we're in for a bumpy ride! Ole!

Monday, April 11, 2005

eeeeYeeessss (maybe)

Just got back from my interview. I'm trying to continue breathing. I think it is a yes. It is not guaranteed a yes but BUT he said he is going to do everything he can to work it out so that I have a half-time position starting in October. He was like, "I want to do whatever possible to help you get integrated and to make your transition the easiest possible." I love this man. He also said my research is in exactly the area they are looking for (for the permanent position starting in 2006). He was really interesting to talk to and the poor man only just got off the plane this morning at 4 a.m. Let me tell you, I was so nervous I could barely think straight. It got worse when he spoke to me in German and I was like oh G-d stop it --all I could think of was hebrew, bad hebrew, when I tried to respond. I was completely thrown and was like, let's stick with English please :) Oh and on that note, he said there would be no pressure as far as teaching in English for awhile and that eventually I would need to teach in Hebrew but not for the first _couple_ of years.

I will know for sure in 3 weeks whether the job is mine or not. I may have a heart attack waiting. A huge factor will be how good the letter I get from a colleague here is. He was like "a really good letter from Yankele would pretty much seal the deal." This is a source of mild anxiety for me because while Yankele likes me and we are on friendly terms, he is really good friends with my Ex. I worry because when I applied for jobs a couple of years ago and used Yankele as a reference I didn't get any interviews (as in none) --as soon as I dropped him and replaced him with another colleague I got interviews for every position I applied for. On the other hand, Yankele is the one who brought me to the attention of this university in the first place. Well, I can't stress. What he writes, he writes. If they hire me, they hire me.

Why is it that those last three sentences are so not working for me?!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home