Step-by-Step: Making Aliyah to Israel

Documenting the very personal process of making Aliyah (immigration to Israel) by one very atypical Israeli-American girl. Aliyah on 17, August, 2005. Roadmap: What do you mean there's no roadmap?! Hang on, we're in for a bumpy ride! Ole!

Friday, April 22, 2005

Chag Sameach!

Wishing everyone a very happy and kosher Passover!

My Pesach weekend is starting off great --I got my oleh visa today!!!!!!!

I was supposed to pick it up yesterday but had a seriously ADHD moment (er, couple hours) that really got in the way. I got ready to leave yesterday and all I needed was to grab my passport so that I could get through the security at the consulate. Wait, where's the passport? I know I used it last week when I went ...two hours of increasingly frantic, panicked searching later (the passport is my only form of identification outside of my university ID, which doesn't get you into a bar much less an embassy) it suddenly came to me: They have it. Hello? Visa. Passport. Visa goes in passport. Ugggghhhhhhh.

So then today, armed with my school ID, I headed to the consulate. As predicted, the ID didn't go down very well. It took at least 75 questions and the security gal going in to check with people herself that my little visa was waiting for me, before they let me through. 10 seconds later I was holding the most beautiful little document I've ever seen. It even says Aliyah on it. Everything is in Hebrew and in English. I love it! I'm sure people thought I was crazy because I actually jumped up and down and squealed like a little kid when I saw it.

And to make my day better, I might get to see my brother tonight! The poor kid had to fly in to the city late last night and as soon as he got in to the hotel he had go to the company and try to fix their software problem. Naturally he is wanting to try to get back home tonight and early tonight but may have to wait until tomorrow. So if he is here tonight then I'm tossing my seder plans to the wind cooking up the best of the stuff I was going to fix for tomorrow and doing a seder here with him tonight. I should know within the hour :)

Oh and thank you Mike for letting me know that Ynet published my Tex-Mex Matzah Brie recipe if anyone is adverturous this week!

6:30 Oh well damn. My brother is having to work until 3 a.m. and his flight leaves at 6 a.m. and he isn't even going to have 15 minutes to call his own. After working half the night last night, he had to get there early this morning and hasn't even had time to eat today. Bag that job! New job! I'm so disappointed. Well, at least when people come tomorrow for the seder they won't get short-shrifted on the goodies. LOL, bad enough that they are the guinea pigs for my first-attempt at ever hosting a seder (can you say renewed appreciation for mothers out there!).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home