Step-by-Step: Making Aliyah to Israel

Documenting the very personal process of making Aliyah (immigration to Israel) by one very atypical Israeli-American girl. Aliyah on 17, August, 2005. Roadmap: What do you mean there's no roadmap?! Hang on, we're in for a bumpy ride! Ole!

Wednesday, March 23, 2005

Yalla --NBN listed the dates (sorta)

I now have 3 possible dates that might be "the day" that I ascend because Nefesh b'Nefesh has just listed their flight dates for August. So, if (oh please) I get accepted by Nefesh B'Nefesh I would want to go on the second flight in August which would be either the 16th or the 23rd --they haven't decided yet. C'mon, decide! If I _don't_ get accepted by NBN (perish the thought!) I will go on the 28th all by my lonesome little self. Well, with 3 cats in tow I guess you could hardly say alone.

Speaking of the cats I had a shock. If I had a filing system I'd have to put this under "things your shaliach tells you that are WRONG." When I first was getting ready to apply I, naturally, wanted to make sure first that I could bring all 3 critters. "No problem, of course" was the response and it was followed by this nice story about a family of seven who made aliyah last year along with their 4 dogs, two cats and a fish or a rabbit (can't remember which). That may be but I ran across some info on the JAFI website that distinctly sez you can only bring along TWO chatulim.

So I kind of panicked and then grabbed the phonebook to call the embassy to find out who is right (at least at the moment). The girl I spoke with looked it up and said, "only 2" but that I could bring more (as in 3) if I apply for some kind of animal import license and then she nicely sent me along the url with the info. Well, I still don't know if I should be panicking or not because as she noted in the email the only information about it is in hebrew. Ahem. Time to be really nice to my roommate methinks.

I have 4 and a half months to figure this out. Perhaps I could get a letter from my Rabbi stating that my cats have a Jewish mother and so...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home