Step-by-Step: Making Aliyah to Israel

Documenting the very personal process of making Aliyah (immigration to Israel) by one very atypical Israeli-American girl. Aliyah on 17, August, 2005. Roadmap: What do you mean there's no roadmap?! Hang on, we're in for a bumpy ride! Ole!

Sunday, March 06, 2005

Mid-terms are over and I'm not sure how I did on my Hebrew exam but I think not too horribly. It probably would have helped if I had studied for it a bit more (ok, a lot more!). I blame my teacher though. Shiri gave me her copy of Yana's Friends to watch over the weekend but she gave it to me the evening before the exam. Worse, she had shown a little teaser of it during our conversation class and so that night when I got home...MOVIE! The temptation was just too irresistable. It is a really good movie too, I might add.

Learning new vocabulary is really a pain: you get, for instance, a whole long list of hitpael verbs and are supposed to memorize them and their meanings along with their conjugations. There's no context for them, they all look almost alike, and there are a lot of them. I always feel frustrated when faced with this and often forget the meanings attached as soon as the quiz/test is over or get them embarrassingly confused. However, yesterday there was one of those little "sun breaking through the cloud experiences" and the heavenly music that accompanied it was a Tipex song.

I was walking along the street with Tipex providing some ambient background noise when suddenly a word from the song leaped out at me. I actually stopped in my tracks (and got run into by the person walking behind me) and was like, "hey, I know that word --that was a hitpael I studied for the test! I know that word!" And suddenly, just like that, I also understood what the song was about. That one word was the key. Alright, where's the next vocabulary list!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home