Step-by-Step: Making Aliyah to Israel

Documenting the very personal process of making Aliyah (immigration to Israel) by one very atypical Israeli-American girl. Aliyah on 17, August, 2005. Roadmap: What do you mean there's no roadmap?! Hang on, we're in for a bumpy ride! Ole!

Wednesday, March 02, 2005

Evolving identity

Something I've noticed in both my writing, thoughts and conversation. When I talk about Israel or things happening in Israel, more and more I am starting to say or think "we" or "us."

I have no legitimate right to do this. Not yet, at least. I'm still sitting on my little behind here in NY. I don't even have my oleh visa yet much less my teudat zehut or (most coveted of all) Israeli passport stating beyond a shadow of a doubt that I am an Israeli. Right now I'm only an American.

But day by day, hebrew lesson by hebrew lesson, rant at roommate by rant, I am starting to feel that sense of identification and affiliation growing. I read somewhere once that no one feels their sense of identification with their religion so strongly as the convert. I'm wondering if this goes for immigrants as well (or in my case almost-immigrants).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home