Step-by-Step: Making Aliyah to Israel

Documenting the very personal process of making Aliyah (immigration to Israel) by one very atypical Israeli-American girl. Aliyah on 17, August, 2005. Roadmap: What do you mean there's no roadmap?! Hang on, we're in for a bumpy ride! Ole!

Tuesday, February 08, 2005

Someone please tell me it is ok to kick my roommate ba'tachat. Please. It is funny how a little thing can really be the last straw. In this case, one comment. But that comment is totally indicative of his entire attitude, general incivility, and complete irresponsibility. Ok, irresponsibility is the wrong word it is more like a tendency to use, take advantage of, and stomp on people.

Can you tell I'm a little pissed off? If you don't want to hear me bitch, come back to a later post and I'll try to be nicer. Right now, nice is not in _my_ vocabulary.

Last night I'm studying like crazy for the hebrew test that was scheduled for today, trying to make sure I have the huge amount of vocabulary down pat (thankfully she decided we needed more time and so it now on Thursday) while simultaneously trying to write a 3 page short story also due today and also in hebrew. I go into the other room and start to ask, " So to say 'to turn on the tv...'"

He didn't let me finish before jumping in with "I'm not going to tell you. It is too complicated for you. And if I told you, you are too stupid to remember how to say that anyway." I was like, "right "lhadlik et ha' televizia" is real complex, I'm sure I could never remember that, much less ever be able to conjugate that in the future tense 2nd person feminine which is what I was _going_ to try to do and see if I was correct." And then we got into a major argument.

Because the entire point of us living together was for me to be able to get a lot of spoken practice. That was the deal. That is why he is paying less than 1/3rd of the rent for this apartment. HELLO. And if I added up all the time he has spent talking to me in hebrew or clarifying a point since we moved in together in August it would total less than 2 hours.

Not only that but he hasn't paid a single, as in not one, month's utility bill when we are supposed to be splitting them. He has not bought a single roll of toilet paper or other necessity. No, excuse me, he did buy some while I was in Texas over winter break -- just enough to last him til I got back.

He has no problem asking me for _hours_ of help with wording things for him --which I have freely given even when I had other things to do because he was stressed and upset. I give him hours of help with the damn computer that, I'm sorry, _he_ is too much of an idiot to remember. I even help him pick out which outfit to wear for his stupid auditions.

The few times I have been able to brow-beat or guilt him into speaking to me in hebrew he purposely talks at the speed of light, as in even faster than your average Israeli in a hurry. And if I ask him to please slow down or repeat anything, he refuses to continue saying, I'm too stupid to understand anyway so there is no point.

I think I'm going to tell him to find a new place to live for next month. I've really had it. And to think I felt sorry for the ben zona because his mother never once said she loved him. Ha, if I were her I wouldn't say it either! Who could?!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home