Step-by-Step: Making Aliyah to Israel

Documenting the very personal process of making Aliyah (immigration to Israel) by one very atypical Israeli-American girl. Aliyah on 17, August, 2005. Roadmap: What do you mean there's no roadmap?! Hang on, we're in for a bumpy ride! Ole!

Monday, January 17, 2005

small world

My best friend Michie is still visiting (she goes home tomorrow) and we've been busy "doing New York" so I haven't had time to write. It is amazing how you can live someplace for so long and have seen so little of it. I can now say I've actually seen most of the tourist traps in New York City!

Well, last week an interesting thing happened. I went to this once-a-month hebrew langauge meeting thing that I organize (don't ask me how I got to be the organizer, it is still a mystery to me). Usually there are only a couple of people who turn up but it is always fun. This time I got there a bit late and found a large table full of people. Wow, was I in the right place? But a bigger surprise was that sitting there was a guy I kinda sorta recognized...from somewhere. He recognized me too and he remembered where --"hey, didn't I meet you in Tel Aviv a couple of months ago?!" I'll be darned. He and I had gotten to talking (this so doesn't happen in restaurants here) at this place that serves absolutely the best falafel I've ever had. He is a really interesting guy and we had this really great hour-long conversation from across our separate tables (enlivened by the addition of a business man from California who was tooling around Israel for a month, half on business and half on pleasure). Well, we said goodbye and that was that. Then he turns up not just here in NY but here at the meeting. How neat! In all the years I've lived in NYC, I've never run into any of the people I know who live here on the streets or in a restaurant but I run into someone I met in another country... It really is a small world even in this big city!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home