Step-by-Step: Making Aliyah to Israel

Documenting the very personal process of making Aliyah (immigration to Israel) by one very atypical Israeli-American girl. Aliyah on 17, August, 2005. Roadmap: What do you mean there's no roadmap?! Hang on, we're in for a bumpy ride! Ole!

Friday, January 28, 2005

Right now I feel like my life is one big rollercoaster ride: going up one day and dowwwnnnnn the next and then starting the next climb. I love to ride rollercoasters but not to live on one. Yesterday was an "up" day. I got the new IBM laptop (setting it up today) that has -gasp of delight- a DVD burner. It is totally a stacked laptop and the best thing is it didn't cost me a penny (of course, I don't get to keep it permantently either since it belongs to the school). But I intend to use it and use it well while it is mine, mine, mine :)

I had a good "hebrew encounter." My teacher grabbed me after class (the for-credit one) and told me I needed to go into the more advanced class. Well, I'm not going to do it but it was really good to hear. I took this same intermediate I class last semester and felt totally lost and out of my league the entire time, so I thought it would be a really good idea to take it again. This time around I am feeling more comfortable and I'm definitely understanding more (the entire thing is taught with no english at all). Still, the others in the class (most of them products of 10 plus years of hebrew day schools) can run rings around me (I think) when it comes to speaking. And we haven't gotten to the section on the good old future tense yet which is where my hebrew ability dies a terrible death. And my vocabulary is really limited -I just can't seem to retain words and their meanings. So my hope is that this time around I will retain, really get all the nebulous grammar stuff totally engrained, and then have a really strong base for incorporating new stuff. Plus, Shiri is a native speaker and the teacher of the more advanced class is not and I think, in terms of hearing and understanding (not to mention pronunciation) I'll get more out of this class. I must admit that a big factor is that I really like Shiri and feel comfortable around her and, to be honest, the woman who teaches the more advanced class scares the hell out of me. I wonder if my students have ever felt that way about me --"don't take her class, she's a real witch"? Gulp, I hope not. (I have to note, it is kind of unsettling to suddenly be back on the "student" side of things. Or rather unsettling to see how quickly I've reverted back to a "kid" perspective, lol).

The final piece of goodness for the day was that a colleague (he's Israeli) knocked on my office door and told me that a couple of days ago he'd talked to the president of (university X) in Israel and that the U is planning to add a communications dept and a psych dept--they don't currently have either -- and that he'd mentioned my name in connection to possible new hires. He gave me the email address and last night I followed this up and sent off my CV and letter of research focus. Nothing may come of it but it is a lead and spot of hope nonetheless.

So yesterday the rollercoaster was definitely on one of the climbs!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home