Step-by-Step: Making Aliyah to Israel

Documenting the very personal process of making Aliyah (immigration to Israel) by one very atypical Israeli-American girl. Aliyah on 17, August, 2005. Roadmap: What do you mean there's no roadmap?! Hang on, we're in for a bumpy ride! Ole!

Thursday, January 27, 2005

Ok, I'm crazy. Beseder. I'm still going in August, job or no job. Over-qualified and incorrectly qualified and intimidatingly qualified (he actually said my vita was going to intimidate people --now do I look intimidating??): I'm going. First I got upset (when I left) and then I got mad and now I'm just stubbornly determined. He inspired me to drag my sorry and sick little behind to the once-a-week, not-for-credit, intimidatingly-advanced-conversational-hebrew-for-they-really-must-be-natives class this afternoon.

And ...she speaks! Shiri (ha'morah who also teaches my for-credit, 3-days-a-week-intimidatingly-intermediate hebrew class and who has made me actually think nicer thoughts about my originally given name because she is really great) was like, what... you actually talked?! Yes (taking a bow) I did. That's how mad and stubborn I got. Ok, I had to ask for a lot of words, especially when it came to things like "uneven parallel bars," but I talked and I fooled the rest of the class. We were supposed to tell two little stories-- one of which was real and one that was not-- about ourselves and everyone had to vote on which one was the true one. Yes, I was a gymnast in my kidhood, competed internationally, and had Bela Karolyi for a coach. No, I have not published a very popular book ---yet *grin*. I intend to eat, sleep, and drink hebrew between now and August. I will overcome (and deny an academic degree or two if necessary).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home