Step-by-Step: Making Aliyah to Israel

Documenting the very personal process of making Aliyah (immigration to Israel) by one very atypical Israeli-American girl. Aliyah on 17, August, 2005. Roadmap: What do you mean there's no roadmap?! Hang on, we're in for a bumpy ride! Ole!

Tuesday, January 25, 2005

now I'm sick :(

Uuggghh, I hate being sick. I'm not a good sick person. I whine, I want someone to bring me hot tea and make me chicken soup (yes, I even stop being a vegetarian when it comes to being sick). I want to be babied and pampered --and entertained when I stop feeling like I'm dying and just feel cruddy. In short, I revert to being 5 years old. And, sigh, my cats are not willing to step up to the plate. So, last week ha'morah was sick and cancelled classes and today I'm missing. Well, at least I do have the borrowed tv and dvd player and so I can feel like I'm dying while rewatching the Israeli films I ordered (not Kedma again though --very disappointing).

I found an interesting article about the effects on the brain of learning a second language: we get more grey matter . They haven't studied the effects of being multi-lingual yet and find that older learners get less grey matter than younger ones. This article from Nature Neuroscience was more encouraging, suggesting that learning a second language in adulthood is not as difficult as previously thought. According to this article, I know a lot more hebrew than I think I do. Ok then brain, start actually spitting those words out.

Update: I cannot be sick tomorrow, I cannot be sick tomorrow, I cannot! I just found out that I have a job interview set up through the Israel Aliyah Center for tomorrow morning at 11! Yikes, what to wear?! Now everyone please use all your cosmic energies not only to wish me success but also that I don't repeat the dreadful mistake that George Bush the 1st made in Japan.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home