Step-by-Step: Making Aliyah to Israel

Documenting the very personal process of making Aliyah (immigration to Israel) by one very atypical Israeli-American girl. Aliyah on 17, August, 2005. Roadmap: What do you mean there's no roadmap?! Hang on, we're in for a bumpy ride! Ole!

Sunday, January 09, 2005

catching up

Ahh a connection to the Internet again! I'm using my cruddy and very old compaq (if my sentences are missing a few letters here and there remember that it is a very old compaq) because my lovely IBM is in the shop. Well, when the system board decided to fry on me last week I was calling it quite a few other things than lovely. Then I got back last Tuesday night to discover my aparment had been burgled and my desktop computer gone along with everything else electronic except for the litter box and the stereo --I guess even the burgler could tell it was a piece of junk. Did he try it out, I wonder? I can just picture him (hims? hims and hers?) deciding to spin a few kewl Israeli tunes while ransacking the place, discovering that it skips on evey other line and deciding nahhhhh, it ain't worth those two flights of stairs... But hey, the speakers are excellent! My wonderful landlord has still not come to replace the locks and so I am actually looking forward t my roommate returning tomorrow.

I'm taking a very placid view of things I think. Generally I would be freaking out (ok, I admit to doing a bit of freaking out on Tuesday night) but I'm feeling like ok, they are just things right? Things can be replaced. And anyway they are 110 volts or whatever and I'd have to replace them anyway this summer. So the things I'm not really all that upset about. There is this feeling of violation though and that is hard to get over. The idea that someone was pawing through my things, finding some of them lacking no less --I'm starting to feel a real affinity for that stereo! how dare they reject it?! -- and invading my personal space. But I'm thankful that I wasn't home and my roommate wasn't home and my cats weren't hurt. I'm creeped out by the timing though --my roommate left a week ago Thursday, a friend of mine came to take of the cats on Saturday and everything was fine, so it had to have happened on Sunday or Monday or possibly on Tuesday before I got home and I'm wondering if whoever it was knew that no one was home and if they did... how did they know? We left lights on so it would look like someone was home. The tv (ahhh the tv) was running pbs continually ---for the cats to have some amusement not to deter burglars. So was it just random coincidence, was someone keeping tabs on our movements, was it even some dastardly neighbor with a screwdriver? Ok, I'm going to stop thinking along these lines or I might start freaking out.

Good things are happening in my life and that is the place to focus. A really close friend of mine from California is coming back to visit and will stay with me for four days next week. I'm signing up to take some hip hop classes (I want to learn how to not dance like a white girl, lol!) and they start next Sunday at a really neat dance studio just a couple blocks away from me. I'm hearing rumors that I might be getting some job interviews b'eretz quite soon (now over those I'll freak out) which, at the least, would occasion another trip "home" (hopefully and even likely paid for not by me so another thing to celebrate) this spring. So, I'm still thinking 2005 is starting out as a good year :)

P.S. I'm really not completely enamored of this picture of me that is now all over my webpage. I tried to add the picture to my profile for a month and it wouldn't let me (blogspot tells me they are "aware of the problem") and tonight I finally decided that maybe if I futzed with the template --and voila! Only now it is both _in_ the profile and below the profile and if I remove it from one there goes the other...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home