Step-by-Step: Making Aliyah to Israel

Documenting the very personal process of making Aliyah (immigration to Israel) by one very atypical Israeli-American girl. Aliyah on 17, August, 2005. Roadmap: What do you mean there's no roadmap?! Hang on, we're in for a bumpy ride! Ole!

Tuesday, December 14, 2004

and so it begins

Talked to my mother tonight for more than an hour. I should have been studying for my final exam in Hebrew tomorrow instead but the slow start of what will become a several-time-weekly-in-perpetuatity battle has begun and so I mustered my defenses and engaged. I was really surprised at my mother's surprisingly supportive reaction to my announcement that I'm making Aliyah but I should have known better. For two weeks she has been like "how wonderful, you've really thought this out, blah blah nice nice."

I should have waited until 3 weeks before the actual move to drop the bombshell. Now she has more than 6 months to engage in psychological warfare beginning, of course, with the guilt-trips --but honey, it is so far away, when you come to visit we'll have lots of time to talk about alternatives. And, wonderfully, I am spending 3 weeks starting this coming Thursday in Texas living in the same house with her over winter break. G-d help me. Don't get me wrong, I love my mother. I really, really love my mother and I have a really good time with her most of the time when we get together. But I also like having my own life. More, I like having the life I want to have and the life she wants me to have is not the life I want to have. Above all, my mother wants me to live next door to her (she won't come right out and say this but that is what she wants) and for my brother to live no more than a few blocks away (which he actually does and this causes some problems for him. ahem. cough. yes.). Barring that, she thinks Canada is a good idea (if I'm damned and determined to live in another country at least live in the country next door...). Why, why why why why, did I open my mouth.

I will win but it won't be pretty. It never is. It will be a long, protracted battle which (trust me) will not end once I and my cats set permanent feet and paws on Israeli soil.

I'd start banging my head against the wall now but a) I'd be too brain-damaged to actually make the move by August and b) my apartment is too small to have enough empty wall space to do it effectively.

Speaking of banging my head against the wall, I can't figure out how to configure my blog the way I want it. It is not very user-friendly. I want to post a profile picture but for some reason it won't let me. Other blogs I see (ok Rinat's and Celestial Blue's specifially) have really kewl layouts and I can't figure out how they did it.

I got one review down today. Only 6 more to go. sigh.

My roommate just asked why I talk to my mother nearly every night to begin with, that she's neurotic as hell and to set some boundaries. Ahhhh I have to remember to write about the historic (and somewhat hysterical) confrontation of Maman in Luxembourg. Tomorrow. (and he should talk --his parents spent the entire weekend I spent with them trying to convince me to convince him to move back home!). It's late, I'm tired, tomorrow is another guaranteed to be horrible day (especially since I never did study for that final...).


2 Comments:

At 5:19 PM, Blogger celestial blue said...

Well, when I started my blog a year ago I had NO idea how to do anything. I hounded lots of other bloggers with questions and they were kind enough to answer (for they too were in that position once). We all seem to teach each other, which is good because my knowledge of html is extremely limited. So you can ask me whatever you like and I'll do my best to answer. As far as my template goes, I got it from Blogskins. I just copied and pasted it, and then tinkered it with it until I got it the way I like.

I am glad you are writing of your aliyah experience... it helps give me some insight into the process, though I did watch a close friend of mine go through it too. It will give me plenty of food for thought, as I consider it almost everyday myself..

 
At 12:14 AM, Blogger j-jen said...

Katie, are you bringing back memories of when I decided to make aliyah when I was 27. My mom was "OK-I'm cool with that." NOT! She finally came around to seeing it my way, but only after she's been here twice in 6 months. (Of course that was because she was convinced that Israel was so backwards that she would have to send me regular shipments of essentials, like toilet paper and washing machine soap. LOL. :-> )

 

Post a Comment

<< Home